Ladybug Secrets

Ladybug Secrets:
Don't let the small stuff bug you. And Spot new opportunities.

Friday, April 29, 2011

The Pear Tree

We have this ornamental pear tree in our front yard.  Since we moved into the house, it has become one of my favorite things in our yard.  All year it has a beautiful shape with branches which reach up to create a cone shape.  And for about 2 weeks every year, lovely white flowers bloom all over the tree.  During this time, I love to walk out and smell the fragrance hanging in the air.  It makes me remember Spring has arrived, with new life all around.

Last year I heard this terrible noise out my front window.  I looked out to see the power company was cutting branches off my wonderful tree!  After they were done butchering the tree, I wanted to cry.  It was no longer perfectly shaped, and it looked horrible.  They literally cut the center right out.  Later that summer it became infested with tent caterpillars.  Every time I looked at that ridiculous tree I cringed.  If only they would have cut the whole thing down.  Then I could have planted a new smaller tree that would look perfect!

As I walked out my door the other day, there was that tree. And oh there was that smell!  I looked up at all the glorious flowers.  I did not see any hole, or tents.  All I saw was beauty.  Now there is still a large hole in the center, and the tents will be back.  But the tree did not care, it just kept growing!

God has such a funny way of showing me the importance of living through all the junk around me.  This week has not been one of the best.  On Easter, we headed to my mom and dad's for lunch after working all morning at Church.  I was ready to sit down, relax, and enjoy my fam.  During lunch, Chan fell and cut his head open.  We spent the afternoon in the ER getting 3 stitches.  Then on Monday, we found out someone had broken into our home and stolen some things.  We are not sure when it happened, and can only assume it was while we were in NY.  Also on Monday, we received word that Tim's plant was closing.  I was talking to a friend of mine and told her I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.  She said, "There is no other shoe, there can't possibly be another shoe!"

Seeing the tree made me realize, it does not matter what happens.  What is important is our family refuses to stop growing!  We may not always look pretty, but God has a plan for us.  He wants us to bloom and show his love to others.  He wants us to reach out to those who need us.  The other day at work we were talking about Luke 19:39-40
"Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!" “I tell you,"” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”

I wanted that tree down so badly last year.  I looked at it with such disgust. Now I look at my family and realize how much God loves us in our moments of hardship, moments of "un"beauty.  It is so easy at these times to turn our eyes away, to feel abandoned, forsaken.  But if we allow ourselves to do this, we will never bloom again.  We will never have new life springing from us.

I have been so encouraged this week by friends and family!  People praying for us, and sending encouragement our way.  The truth is, we are blessed!!! Chan only needed 3 stitches, and now they are out and he is back to full speed.  The things that were stolen are things.  Plain and simple.  And Tim's company looks like they are not through with him yet.  We don't know long term what will happen, but God leads us to where we need to be.

 My sister in law shared this first video with me early in the week.  Fail us Not  It reminded me that we all walk a different, but hard journey.  The reality- He never fails us!  My wonderful babysitter and friend shared the second video. While I'm Waiting  I had not told her the tree story, and yet...she sent me this video!  While we wait, we need to praise.  How else will we hear him when he answers?  I hope you take a few minutes to be inspired my each of these!






1 comment:

  1. i totally agree with you Melinda i feel God was telling Terry and i something this last year and that's why we had to move on and make the decision to leave. i also that video of the song I AM WAITING ever since we saw the movie Fireproof.
    JodyD.

    ReplyDelete