Ladybug Secrets

Ladybug Secrets:
Don't let the small stuff bug you. And Spot new opportunities.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Labyrinth

I was thinking about my life the other day.  And this movie came to mind.  It was one of my favorites.  If you are not a David Bowie fan and a fan of the muppets, steer clear of this movie. :0)  But many times in my life I have been like the girl in the movie.  Searching.  I think we all find ourselves in this spot.  She goes on this great quest to save her brother, only to realize she is the one who needs saving.  She is so wrapped up in her own little world, she forgets about the world around her.  My favorite part is when she is dressed up in this lovely ball gown.  She is at a masquerade, searching for happiness.  She is starting to realize that this world she has created is not that much better than the one she lives in.  In the end, she rescues her brother and returns to reality, realizing it is ok to rely on others, and just enjoy life. 

Oh how I am like this girl!  I have always been guilty of just picking up the pieces and moving on without taking time to really examine the situation and make sure I am ok.  I am great at putting on the "fancy ball gown" and turning my back on the little things.  But all of us will find that if we go one like this, the labyrinth of life will just crash down around us.  There has to be a point where we reach out. 

Many of you have seen Brooke since the surgery.  She is still our spunky little gal!  For the most part she is doing great.  But we have been dealing with some interesting new character traits.  Many of you have encouraged me and said that it is an age thing.  And some of it I agree.  But I have been around enough children to know that some of it is not.  Whether it is behavior or pain, I am searching to find a way to help her.  Some days she seems fine, others she is mildly disobedient.  And yet others, Oh it takes all my strength to get through those days.  Just the other night she had a "meltdown" at the library.  This was only one week after her other "meltdown" at the library.  After it happened, I reached out to a friend with Chiari, asking for help.  The sad thing is, there is so little that can be done to help.  Beyond pain management, there is just not much else. 

Our course of action through our Labyrinth: asking others to be patient with us and understand.  I do not know what the future looks like.  I do know I have to make our lives as simple as possible, so Brooke can have a safe haven to rest and recuperate in.  She needs discipline yes, but she also needs ways to escape when she hurts.  We know movies help her relax.  Baths also help to relieve symptoms.  If you see us somewhere though, and Brooke is screaming, hitting, and running from me through parking lots, pray.  She is a strong little girl and getting stronger each day.  We love her so much and want her to be healthy, happy and safe.  When she gets like this she is none of these.  Someone said today: The greatest place love was shown was the cross, the greatest pain that was endured was the cross; Love is both beautiful and painful.  (thanks Mr. Mike!)  I believe this.  So no more twirling around in my ball gown, I will be in muck boots from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment