Ladybug Secrets

Ladybug Secrets:
Don't let the small stuff bug you. And Spot new opportunities.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Why a Ladybug?

Many may have wondered why I chose a ladybug, and not a butterfly or unicorn or a lion.  Well there are a few reasons why a ladybug is a special animal to me.  First, and the easiest answer, is they are small, delicate, and quite cute (kinda like brooke).  But even though they are small, they have a mighty job...eating aphids off the plants, therefore helping a farmer/gardener.  Brooke too has had a mighty job since she was very small...managing her disease and living each day to the fullest.  For that reason, I think a ladybug fits her very well.  But of course, like all good stories there is another reason, so as my kids always say "tell us a story, tell us a story"....
As many of you know, we just moved.  Moving is not a new thing for me.  In fact as a child, we moved quite a bit.  I have to say I never liked it.  I loved feeling at home in a house, making friends, and not having to leave.  One of the houses I remember well was in Missouri.  My mom and dad remember this house in a very bad light (leaky basement).  But I remember it differently.  I remember my room was huge...most rooms are huge to 4 year olds.  It was yellow, with heavy yellow drapes.  I had a holly hobby bed spread, and the room made horrible noises at night.  So I would creep down the hall and sleep on the floor next to my brother's crib.  Somehow I felt safer being close to him.
I remember a curly head girl that I played with.  She lived on a farm, with real live horses!  I thought they had the dream house.  Her older sister had beautiful long brown braids, and a room decorated in horse ribbons and trophies.  I thought she was amazing...she was probably 8. :0) I could go on about all the amazing memories from this house, my first hamsters, the best babysitters....
Here is where I tell you why a ladybug.  I had 3 very good friends that lived in the same neighborhood.  One of the little girls had the most beautiful willow tree in her back yard.  The branches drooped way down to the ground, creating a thick curtain.  As little girls this made the perfect hiding place.  We would pull back the branches an enter our kingdom!  But the most amazing part of this magical tree, were the ladybugs!  As a little girl I remember hundreds of beautiful red and black ladybugs crawling all over the tree.  The tree just simply had to be magical!  We thought it was, and played endlessly under the shade of its branches.  I was desperately sad when I found out we were moving away.
I never did find such a wonderful place as that tree.  Today when I pass a willow tree with thick branches, I breathe a sad sigh for I wish to go back to that ladybug kingdom just once!  It was free from fear, from the tough realities of the world.  It was a refuge for a group of little girls to play to their hearts content.  This is something I want to provide for my daughter.  A place for her to escape when she is hurting.  The truth is....I can't provide this, no more than my parents could continue living in that house just because I had a really cool tree to play under.  But God can, He can offer her that  refuge I can't provide.  He can wrap my ladybug up in his arms and she can rest assured that no move will ever change that!  What a beautiful peace that brings.  With that hope, I can raise each of my children to know a greater kingdom than will ever be seen on this earth!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful blog it brought alot of tears and joy just reading this.we will continue our prayers for all of with every day is different and i know in my heart God will and has been watching over all of you in this time of your life.
    I Love Each one of You,
    Jody D.

    ReplyDelete